Under the general supervision of the Director of Nursing, the MA provides skilled clinical support to assist the Physician, Advanced Practice Nurse, or licensed nursing staff in the care and treatment of patients. Assist with referrals, sets up patient rooms, takes vitals and other patient stats, with patient care team for a whole-person approach to health care. Treats patients professionally and with dignity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answer telephone
- Schedule appointments
- Process medical billing
- File medical charts
- Telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy
- Escort patient to exam room
- Obtain patient history interviews
- Take and record vital signs
- Prepare patient for examination
- Use medical terminology and accepted charting abbreviations in documentation
- Provide patient information/instructions
- Assist with medical examinations/surgical procedures
- Set up/clean patient rooms
- Maintain inventory
- Collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- Change dressings
- Notify patients of laboratory results
- Schedule patient appointments
- Translate during medical interviews with non-English-speaking patients
- Perform basic laboratory tests
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Current Illinois Medical Assistant Certification (may obtain within 1 year of employment)
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Meets agency health and immunization requirements
- CPR certified
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization, preferred
- Experience in a hospital or community health center preferred
- Ability to communicate medical procedures and terminology to and with patients & medical professionals.
- Ability to work with a diverse range of personnel – protected classes of genders, races, religious backgrounds, socio-economic status, etc.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks from more than one person at a time.
- Demonstrated strong phlebotomy skills – REQUIRED
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Publisher) and be proficient with e-mail and internet communications and research.
Email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org