Responsible for carrying out HR related duties in the areas of benefits and leave administration, worker’s compensation and unemployment claims, employee/labor relations, performance management, and HRIS administration and compliance reporting. Provides back-up support to the Talent & Recruiting Specialist and HR Assistant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers the organization’s employee benefits programs, including medical, flexible spending accounts, dental and vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement, and wellness benefits.
- Assists employees with benefits enrollment and questions, reviews all insurance billing, maintains employee database and benefit files.
- Partners with employees and supervisors to communicate various HR policies, procedures, laws, standards, and other government regulations.
- Provides performance management support to staff and supervisors. Monitors employee performance evaluations and ensures they are done in a timely manner.
- In conjunction with the VP of HR, responds to and resolves employee and labor relations issues. Maintains working relationships with union representatives. Meets with union reps and members to gather information, address, and resolve any conflicts or grievances.
- Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests for FMLA and non-FMLA leave.
- Responds to 401(k) inquiries relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts.
- Monitors and tracks employee eligibility for benefits plans in compliance with the ACA requirements.
- Reviews benefits with employees and processes enrollment, cancellation or changes. Assists with annual open enrollment and election process within the HRIS.
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide carriers with accurate eligibility information. Enrolls employees with carriers and processes life status changes.
- Maintains employee benefit files and ensures benefits changes are entered appropriately in payroll system for payroll deduction. Assists employees with managing deduction payment plans when on leave or summer/winter breaks.
- Verifies monthly insurance billing statements for all group insurance policies. Resolves administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Reports, maintains and monitors all workers’ compensation case files. Follows up on open cases. Maintains open communication with the claim’s adjuster and insurance broker throughout the life of the claim.
- Maintains the agency’s OSHA 300 log and prepares annual reports.
- Reviews and responds to unemployment claims with appropriate documentation. Reviews quarterly unemployment statements.
- Assists the Talent & Recruiting Specialist with reviewing resumes, conducting phone screens and reference checks as needed.
- Assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; assists with the maintenance of the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Assists with the preparation of annual reports and compliance forms.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefit laws and regulations.
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the HR department and services performed.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining professional and personal networks; and participating in professional organizations.
- Participates in departmental meetings and agency trainings as required.
- Assists with onboarding of new staff, students, and volunteers in absence of the HR Assistant or Talent & Recruiting Specialist.
- Cross trains with the Talent & Recruiting Specialist and provides support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with a disability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Management, or related field required. Equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- SHRM or HRCI certification preferred.
- Three to five years demonstrated experience as a HR Generalist required. Related experience must include benefit and leave administration, employee/labor relations, performance management, and recruitment.
- Experience in a Non-Profit setting strongly preferred.
- Prior experience using a HRIS system required.
Skills and Knowledge
- Embodies support of Pillars Community Health’s mission and vision.
- Responsible for upholding the highest standards of ethical and professional behavior.
- Ensures confidentiality in all aspects of job performance.
- Assures an environment of inclusiveness and demonstrates a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
- Strong customer service focus with ability to determine customer needs and respond appropriately. Treats everyone with respect, dignity, and compassion.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; shows strong attention to details.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively to all levels of the organization.
- Is a self-starter; works well both independently and in a team environment.
- Sound problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, meet required timelines and perform in a fast-paced, complex organization.
- Is punctual and regular in attendance.
- Is committed to continuous learning, skill development and application of new knowledge related to both human resource management and the organization.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point.
Illinois Driver’s License required. Personal vehicle needed for transportation between company sites. Mileage for authorized work-related purposes is reimbursable.
Email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com