As we move into the New Year, we would like to provide you with some of the tools you’ll need to stay happy and healthy this winter.
Here are 10 Tips on Staying Healthy This Winter:
- Too cold to keep up with your walking? Take a trip to a mall nearby with your walking shoes and exercise while you browse.
- Take time to relax with members of your household: start a puzzle, listen to a podcast, or play a favorite board or card game together.
- Get your flu shot and your COVID booster if you haven’t already!
- Don’t just make a shopping list or gift wish list this holiday season; take time to make a “gratitude list” and share it with others.
- The holidays are a great time to relax, but be sure to keep your cozy naps to 30 minutes to maintain good sleep hygiene.
- Time with friends and family can be great, but don’t forget to set boundaries and take time for yourself: spend time listening to your favorite music, start that book that has been gathering dust for too long, or take yourself to a movie or concert.
- Remember that it’s ok if holidays bring up sad memories. Take time to feel your grief, journal about it, or talk about your experiences with a friend over a cup of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate.
- Eat healthy, stay active. Eat fruits and vegetables which pack nutrients and help lower the risk for certain diseases. Limit your portion sizes and foods high in fat, salt, and sugar. Also, be active for at least 2½ hours a week and help kids and teens be active for at least 1 hour a day.
- Fluffy snow is picturesque, but it can also create a health risk. Be mindful of road conditions, and watch for icy spots in parking lots and sidewalks when cold weather hits.
- Make your plan for the new year. It’s a great time to reset – but don’t go dashing through your to-do list too fast, or you might not stick to your plan. Lay out realistic, sustainable steps for the months ahead.